So this morning I was 3 entities: “Mommy!” and “Wheezie?” (from Dragon Tales), and “The Man in the Yellow Hat.” Today was the first time being TMITYH – but WST wanted to be Curious George, so I got to be his color-obsessed keeper/friend.
In the past few weeks, I have been, that I can recall:
- DaddyO, DaddyN, WST herself;
- The Big Pig, The Big Wolf, a princess, a ‘mommy princess,’ and a scary monster;
- a Dragon mommy, Astrid and Toothless (from How to Train Your Dragon);
- Grover (and Grover’s mommy), the Count, Elmo, Zoe, Big Bird, Snuffy, and Cookie Monster;
- Caillou’s mommy, Rosie, Caillou, and Gilbert;
- Zack (until it was realized I was a girl – then Wheezie), Emmy, Ord, and Cassie’s mommy;
- and most recently – Katy’s Mommy AND Lou at the same time (from the Library book Katy Did It).
And that’s the ones I can recall off the top of my head. I have learned to answer to almost anything, and to change personas at breakneck speed. “You be the big pig and I’ll be the little pig, and … no, you be the big wolf and I’ll be the little wolf… and we’re BOTH nice wolfs…”
I had a very rich fantasy life as a childand I’ve always been someone who imagines “what if” even today as an adult. I find these activities fun and fascinating, if occasionally a little bewlidering or challenging…
What do parents without this kind of background do? How do they cope? And what do you do if you are a kid without parents willing to put on a new persona every 5-10 seconds? With parents who can’t or won’t pretend…?